Dining tables are an essential piece of furniture in any home, as they serve as a gathering spot for family and friends to enjoy meals and spend quality time together. While rectangular dining tables are more common, round dining tables have become increasingly popular due to their unique shape and functional advantages. In this blog post, we will explore the benefits of round dining tables, how to choose the right size and style, and how to care for them.
Round dining tables have been around for centuries and were originally popular in ancient cultures such as the Greeks and Romans. In those times, round dining tables were a symbol of unity and equality, as everyone sitting around the table had an equal place and status. During the medieval period, round tables were used for feasts and banquets by kings and nobles. In the 18th and 19th centuries, round dining tables became more common in households, as they were considered elegant and refined. Today, round dining tables are popular for their versatility and ability to create a warm and inviting atmosphere.
Advantages of Round Dining Tables
- Ideal for small spaces: One of the biggest advantages of round dining tables is that they are ideal for small spaces. Unlike rectangular tables, round tables don’t have sharp corners that take up unnecessary space. This means that you can place a round dining table in a small dining room or kitchen, without sacrificing too much space for movement.
- Easily accommodates additional chairs: Round dining tables are also very versatile when it comes to seating arrangements. Due to their circular shape, it’s easy to add or remove chairs as needed, without worrying about the table looking imbalanced or disproportionate. This makes them perfect for dinner parties and gatherings where you need to accommodate a larger number of guests.
- Encourages eye contact: Round dining tables promote conversation and a sense of intimacy. With everyone seated equidistant from each other, it’s easy to make eye contact and engage in meaningful conversations. This creates a warm and welcoming atmosphere that is perfect for family dinners and social gatherings.
- No head of the table: With a round dining table, there is no head of the table. This means that everyone at the table is of equal importance, and no one feels left out or isolated. It also means that the conversation flows more naturally, and there’s no need to compete for attention or space.
- Elegant and modern: Round dining tables are also very aesthetically pleasing. They have a classic and timeless look that works well in any home decor style, from traditional to modern. Their sleek, rounded edges give them a clean and contemporary feel that is perfect for modern interiors.
- Available in a variety of styles and finishes: Round dining tables come in a variety of styles and finishes, from classic wooden designs to sleek glass and metal options. This means that there’s a round dining table to suit any taste and budget. Whether you prefer a rustic farmhouse look or a minimalist, modern design, you’re sure to find a round dining table that meets your needs.
Choosing the Right Size Round Dining Table
The first factor to consider when choosing the right size round dining table is the amount of space available in the room. Make sure to measure the room before selecting a table to ensure that it fits comfortably without obstructing walkways or other furniture.
Number of people to accommodate
The number of people you need to accommodate at the table will also play a role in determining the size of the table. A larger table will be necessary if you plan on hosting large gatherings or dinner parties. However, if you only have a small family, a smaller table will suffice.
Table base and leg placement
Another factor to consider when selecting a round dining table is the placement of the table base and legs. Some tables have a central pedestal base that provides more legroom and makes it easier to accommodate more chairs around the table. Others have legs that are spaced out more evenly, which can make it harder to fit additional chairs around the table.
Tips for choosing the right size
Measure the space
Before choosing a round dining table, measure the space where it will be located. This will help you determine the maximum size of the table that will fit comfortably in the room.
Allow for elbow room
When selecting a round dining table, make sure to leave enough space for each person to have comfortable elbow room. As a general rule of thumb, each person should have at least 24 inches of space around the table.
Consider the size and shape of chairs
When selecting a round dining table, it’s important to consider the size and shape of the chairs you plan to use with it. Make sure to choose chairs that are compatible with the size of the table and that fit comfortably around the table without taking up too much space. It’s also important to ensure that the height of the chairs is appropriate for the height of the table.
Styles of Round Dining Tables
- Classic and timeless: Traditional round dining tables have a classic and timeless look that works well in a variety of interiors. They are often made of high-quality woods such as mahogany, oak, or cherry, and feature intricate carving and detailing.
- Often made of wood: Traditional round dining tables are most commonly made of wood, and are available in a range of finishes and styles. They often have turned legs, pedestal bases, or trestle bases, which add to their classic look.
- Sleek and simple: Modern round dining tables have a sleek and simple design that is perfect for contemporary interiors. They often feature clean lines and minimalist styling, and are made of materials such as metal, glass, or high-gloss finishes.
- Often made of metal or glass: Modern round dining tables are commonly made of metal or glass, which gives them a sleek and contemporary look. They often have pedestal bases or angled legs, which add to their modern aesthetic.
- Natural and textured: Rustic round dining tables have a natural and textured look that is perfect for a farmhouse or rustic-style interior. They often have a distressed or weathered finish, and feature natural materials such as reclaimed wood or rough-hewn lumber.
- Often made of reclaimed wood: Rustic round dining tables are commonly made of reclaimed wood, which adds to their natural and rustic look. They often have thick, chunky legs, or pedestal bases that are designed to look like tree trunks or branches.
- Edgy and utilitarian: Industrial round dining tables have an edgy and utilitarian look that is perfect for a loft-style or industrial interior. They often feature simple, no-frills designs that are built for function rather than form.
- Often made of metal and wood: Industrial round dining tables are commonly made of metal and wood, which gives them a utilitarian and industrial look. They often have metal bases or legs, with wooden tops that are left natural or given a distressed finish. They may also feature metal accents such as rivets or bolts, which add to their industrial feel.
Maintaining and Caring for a Round Dining Table
- Avoid abrasive cleaners: When cleaning a round dining table, it’s important to avoid using abrasive cleaners that can scratch or damage the surface. Instead, use a soft, damp cloth or a gentle cleaning solution specifically designed for wood, metal, or glass.
- Use coasters and placemats: To prevent scratches and damage to the table, use coasters and placemats when setting the table. This will help protect the table from spills, heat, and other potential sources of damage.
Protecting the table
- Use tablecloths or table protectors: To protect the table from scratches, spills, and other damage, consider using a tablecloth or table protector. This will help protect the table from daily wear and tear, as well as any accidental spills or stains.
- Avoid direct sunlight and extreme temperatures: Direct sunlight and extreme temperatures can damage the surface of a round dining table, causing it to warp, fade, or crack over time. To prevent this, avoid placing the table in direct sunlight or in areas with extreme temperature changes, such as near heating or cooling vents.
In addition to these tips, it’s also important to periodically check and tighten any screws, bolts, or other hardware on the table to ensure that it remains stable and secure. This will help prevent wobbling or tipping, and keep the table in good condition for years to come.
Round dining tables offer a range of advantages, including their versatility, ability to promote conversation, and aesthetically pleasing design. They’re ideal for small spaces and can easily accommodate additional chairs when needed, and their lack of a head of the table promotes more natural and engaging conversations among diners.
When choosing a round dining table, it’s important to consider factors such as the available space, the number of people you need to accommodate, and the size and shape of chairs you plan to use. It’s also important to properly care for your table by using gentle cleaning solutions and avoiding abrasive cleaners, using coasters and placemats, and protecting the table from direct sunlight and extreme temperatures.
A round dining table can be a beautiful and practical addition to any home, offering a versatile and elegant solution for dining and entertaining. By choosing the right size and style, and properly caring for your table, you can enjoy years of use and enjoyment. Whether you prefer a traditional, modern, rustic, or industrial style, there is a round dining table out there that will meet your needs and complement your home’s decor. So go ahead and explore your options, and find the perfect round dining table for your home today! Also, if you liked this article, consider reading our other ones by clicking here.